Tuesday 5 February 2013

Illness and knitting.




I have recently been quite unwell and as normal when I am sick I take great comfort in my knitting.
 There seems to be a lot of talk on the internet about the things that you do with your hands like knitting and crochet (Nothing rude) being strongly linked to helping mental health. I find that you end up concentrating so hard on the knitting I am doing that I forget any problems.
Also before I started knitting I had no friends, I had hidden away from the world and had nothing to do with it. My husband started me knitting he said I need something to do in the evenings and too stop me drinking so much.
 I had knitted as a child and for some reason compelled to take this craft back up, so I bought a book Stitch 'n' Bitch and off I went. I have taken to it like a duck to water, but I have failed in all attempts to knit a jumper or such garment. I joined a knitting group and my husband basically pushed me through the door on the first meeting, it's been good to have the routine of going out once a week and meeting people.
If you want some more information on knitting and crafts help your health there is a lovely charity called Stitchlinks which offer a wide range of advice and tips.

No comments :

Post a Comment