Thursday 31 January 2013

Crafty Crocodile!


Can't believe I didn't blog about this earlier as it one of the best things I have done in ages!
I am rather fond of crocodiles and have a small collection of them and decided some time ago that I wanted to create my own design for one. There is a small number of good knitted crocodile patterns out there so I started from scratch. I first wanted my crocodile to be about 15" in length but that quickly went out the window! 
No self respecting croc is without bobbles so mine has to rows down his back 24 in total. The body is made in one long piece knitted flat with the jaws knitted in as well. It looks a bit weird but makes more sense as you go along. Sew the side parts of the jaw at the very front together ( the left and right side) then knit the inside of the mouth inside and sew in. 
If you are making this it very important to add the stitch through the low jaw to keep the whole mouth in place! 
I sewed along the bottom of the head, added eyes continued sewing till half way, stop sewing and stuffed. 
Then started sew up at the tail so you meet in the middle, add the rest of the stuffing and sew up.
The legs and feet are a bit fiddly and I am sorry about that. 
Add felt teeth and you have a crocodile. 
He measures it at a impressive 2 foot/60cm! But is fantastic!
I used Araucania Ulmo solid cotton in green but this has be discontinued, I recommend that you use
I would think you need 3 balls of the green and one of red, but any good Double Knit will do!
You can buy the pattern on Etsy








No comments :

Post a Comment